Reaching Out! Living in Christ!

Congregational History

Concord.letterConcord United Methodist Church grew out of the concern of a group of citizens in our community who felt the need for a Methodist Church.  That small group first met on November 8, 1959, at Harton’s Market.  The church was formally organized on December 6, 1959, with 160 present, 101 being church members.  Membership was  168 by February 28, 1960.

The congregation met in Concord Elementary School until August 28, 1960, when the first unit of the present facility was completed.  The membership had grown to 182.

A parsonage was built in 1962.  The first service in the present sanctuary was held in January, 1966.  The membership had grown to 200.

The parsonage was completely renovated in 1975, with the addition of two bedrooms and a bath.  By 1978, membership was 383.

In July 1979, work began on a new fellowship/activity hall and a new kitchen.  The old fellowship hall was divided into Sunday School rooms, the church office and the pastor’s study.  By 1981, membership had grown to 457.

A new parsonage was constructed in 1995 and the old parsonage was converted into the present Office Annex. 

A major renovation project was completed in 2003 and refurbished the interior (narthex, classrooms and hallways), expanded the kitchen and added a covered drive-thru to the rear of the sanctuary.  In 2013, a renovation and expansion to the Sanctuary and a new row of classrooms was completed. Additional parking was added to the front and back in 2014.

Pastors of Concord United Methodist Church

Rev. John Tate . . . . . . . . . . . .  . . . . . . . . . . 1960-1961
Rev. David M. Hilliard, Jr  . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1961-1967
Rev. G. E. Clayton . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1967-1968
Rev. Charles Yancy   . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1968-1972
Rev. Hoyt W. Owen  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1972-1975
Dr. Bill F. Riley, Jr .  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  1975-1984
Dr. James R. Mulroy  .  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  1984-1986
Rev. William R. McClarin    . . . . . . . . . . . .  1986-1991
Rev. Joseph A. Geary    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  1991-1996
Dr. Barry N. Scott . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  . . .  1996-2001
Rev. Philip McClure  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2001-2004
Rev. Earl T. Dickerson . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  2004-2017

Rev. Dean Emerson . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  2017-

A History of the congregation from 1968

History-Concord-UMC-19680527-page-001

Download the entire 1968 Congregation History file as a pdf   HERE

Church Leaders

Church Pictorial Directory  The Password is the first name of a long time church secretary.

 

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

css.php